Sunday, April 27, 2014

Medical Logistics

General Coverage

I have retirement medical benefits which cover me for everything up to 60 days.  That saves me a lot of money getting medical insurance for all my travel.

I take my Greenshields card and a print-out or brochure that outlines the coverage.   I also photocopy the card and phone numbers and put it in different places.   Also, put the information on my computer.   

Frequently, the tour company requires proof of your coverage to be provided to the Tour Manager on arrival or you can't go on the trip.   If you don't have extended benefits or retirement coverage, try BCAA or Cooperators.

I phone Greenshields in advance for some trips to clarify coverage. For example, for Iran there is a Canadian government warning against going there.  However, Greenshields still covers medical costs there if they can provide them.  If there is war for example and they cannot fly me out or the hospitals are closed, and they cannot provide service, then I am not covered.   

Shots

I go to the Travel Clinic for any required vaccinations and immunizations.  They have records my vaccinations and immunizations.   travelclinic.vch.ca/

They also provide advice and prescriptions for medications and mandatory and advisable jabs for each country.   It is expensive and inconvenient but sometimes mandatory.

The Travel Clinic provides a booklet with a record of my vaccinations and immunizations.  I take a photocopy of the booklet and keep copies with other important documents (one at home, one in my hand luggage, a scanned copy on my computer and emailed to myself).  

I keep the basic vaccinations and immunizations up to date, and only get any mandatory jabs prior to each trip.   I've also had Hep A vaccination --- you can get this at home too through food in restaurants and delis.   

Medical Kit

I take basic stuff with me to avoid wasting my time and others:

1.  Colds, Flu, Coughs -- Ibuprofen Cold & Sinus, lozenges.   Tylenol is better for sleeping, but the Ibuprofen Cold & Sinus is great for day time --- it dries things up and gives you an energy boost.

Best preventive: Never never touch your face even if your hands are clean.  Especially never your nose or eyes as that --- these are the entry points into your body.   Wash your hands frequently.  

2. Eyes -- eye gel in tubes for my dry eyes.

3. Inflammation e.g. dust/pollution in lungs, bug bites, -- antihistamine such as Aerius to bring down.  Some are good for sleeping, others for day time.  I am taking this with me for the first time.  Also, I take a scarf for dust and pollution.

4. Cuts, bites, scrapes -- polysporin, bandaids.   Use hand sanitizer in a pinch to keep any opening in the skin clean.  AfterBite works for drying up bites but not for the itch.  Bug repellent wipes (with Deet).  Hydrosone for bad bites.  

South American, Amazon jungle.   There are terrible bugs called noseeums.   You cannot feel, hear or see these bugs.   The bites are ferocious.   Mosquito netting does not keep them out.   Wear long sleeves, long pants, socks, and closed shoes.   Bring insect spray (must be spray) and close the mosquito netting on your bed on arrival and then spray the inside very thoroughly.  Keep the netting closed all the time.  Put the hydrazone on the bites.

5. Stomach -- Seirogan for diarrhea (Japanese can be obtained in Chinatown), Immodium or similar in case Seirogan doesn't work.  No more antibiotics as they mess up my gut for months.  Milk of Magnesia tablets apparently they mop up the bugs on the way through but do nothing else ??/  

Some people also take something for nausea but I don't.   

Lots of extra TP and anti-bacterial or chlorox wipes to clean bathroom, and stuff you touch when you are sick.



No comments:

Post a Comment