Thursday, May 14, 2015

Balkan Road Trip - Day 1-2 (May 13-14) - Krakow

Thursday, May 14 -- Here I am finally on my Balkan road trip, stomach slightly fluttering but all going well.   

The Car:  The car is a lease through Auto Europe, expensive with insurance because of the Balkans and also there are some restrictions on countries (i.e. no Albania or Kosovo).  Altogether $2700 for May 11-June 24, including drop-off fees.   It's a Peugeot brand new, very nice to drive.   I had the same car and lease arrangements the last time in France in 2011, but that was much cheaper --- about $3,000 for 3 months.   The process took a long time and the papers were very slow, so allow about a month to be on the safe side.   After all that trouble, the pick-up process went really smoothly.   I went with my tour group to Schiphol airport, walked over to Arrivals 4 with my luggage, called for pick-up, was driven about 8 km to the agent.  The same very nice guy drove the pick-up van and then did my paperwork.  It did not take very long.   Then I filled up at the gas station next door.  The car had 4 km on it and an empty tank.   I took two days to drive 1311 km to Krakow, stopping for the night twice, once in Soest and again in Bautzen (near Dresden)   I really liked Soest and the Munster area.   Former East Germany not so much.  Bautzen, while a beautiful medieval town, was not lively.  There was a terrible storm and no people out and about.   They have a castle, wall, river, churches, cloth hall, and more.

The Driving:   Wednesday, May 13 - I drove from Bautzen, Germany to Krakow (about 500 km) arriving around 3 pm and was parked and in hotel room by 4 pm.  GPS is a godsend --- I drove the entire way and through Krakow directly to my hotel without a single wrong turn.   Driving in Poland is very easy, just like in Germany.  I was on the motorway all the way and paid tolls 2-3 times (in zloty, see Currency below).   Once in Poland there are a lot fewer trucks on the road and the trucks are much smaller.   They drive the same as in the rest of Europe.   Speed limit is 120 or less, and everybody seems to stick to it, so I assume that the fines are heavy.   Some people drive like lightning bolts --- must be German.   Same cars as Germany and loads of Audis and Mercedes.

Currency:  My first issue was currency.   My first stop inside Poland for lunch and coffee was a highway rest stop with a McDonalds.  Had a cheeseburger too, nice (not) small lunch and good (yes) coffee.   Coffee in Germany and Poland is terrible as a rule.   They do not take Euros here, but I found a bank machine at the gas station.   I am sure the charges and fees and rates are high, but the worst thing is that the minimum withdrawal seemed to be 800 zloty (about 3 to 1 CAD), so $270 CAD, but charged me 243?? USD.   Will try to change euros in future.

Today, I asked at the hotel desk and found that "kantor"  means exchange in Polish (not a Jewish religious official) and asked if they exchange zloty into florints (my next non-Euro country is Hungary), so I can either do euros or florints when I leave tomorrow.  Slovakia uses the Euro.

Hotels:   The best thing for travelling besides Auto Europe and GPS is booking.com.   Before leaving Bautzen I booked the Kasimierz Hotel in Krakow.   I decided to push through the 500 km drive and book a hotel so I would not have to worry what time I arrive.   Hotel prices are similar to Germany.   My hotel is in the Jewish quarter (very interesting and lively, funky trendy area, walking distance to the old city), Hotel Kasamiriez (242 ?? zloty) including breakfast plus parking 25 zloty per day.   Everything was fine (great shower, great WIFI, good breakfast, terrible coffee, great staff) except the bedding and mattress, which were pretty horrible.   The hotel is full for second night, so I booked the David Hotel  (300 zloty) nearby online, and will move this morning.  Paid for another day's parking (25 zloty per 24 hours) in the same place.  Everyone is very accommodating, smiling, hotel staff speak English, but parking guy not a word.   

Dinner:  Hotel staff recommended restaurant nearby hotel, with 10% discount coupon.   I may have stumbled into the old Eastern European ways of trying to cheat the customer.   In western Europe, the day's menu/special/formule is always the freshest, best prepared, and best value, and locals always chose it.  The waiter very strongly recommended the duck and it sure was funny tasting.  Old??   This happens in Vancouver where I avoid the specials as that often is the old food that they have to get rid of, and also cheaper ingredients.  The perogi I had for a starter were good (not as good as warenicki in Steinbach).   

Must check into tipping customs here.   In western Europe, no tip is the custom.

Language:  So far, I know sklep (store), dyunkuya (thank you), kantor(exchange), stari(old), dobra (good), tschech(hi), do vedanya (good-bye).

Sights:  Many many brown signs along the way (indicating places of interest, historical sights).   Countryside rolling with very long views.   Lots to see in Krakow, hope to see art today --- I need it.   The nice day turned into rain and cold.  I decided to see the Wawel Castle as it has a Leonardo da Vinci called the Woman with Ermine.  Very little English spoken by the personnel at the Castle.  Everywhere crowds of school groups.   What will the kids nowadays do when they grow up --- they will have seen and done everything already.  The Castle was expensive --- 87 zloty for all the different exhibits (later found out the Cathedral was another fee), but there was little if any English interpretation.   Two toilets for 1000 people, two tiny cafes for lunch.   Pouring rain all day.  I asked about audio tour when buying tickets, she said there was none, but later I found out there was for additional price of course.  The Easter European habits of poor service prevail here.  Talking through glass and not wanting to explain anything --- just like the old Communist days.

Shops:  Love the Polish pottery.  Dream of collecting it.

Technology:   Only 20 minutes to log in to Google and find my blogs.   Even with my careful notes, which did not work at all.   But I got here.   Even employing my phone to find the email with my verification code for google.   J#(%*_#)*^+$#
Anyway, now that I have my phone working after several calls to Bell while in Holland (Bell had put the travel restrictions back on my account), I am good there (I hope.)
Now I can't figure out how to look at my list of posts --- google makes me crazy.
The car is pretty simple but have not tried to figure out cruise control yet.

Me:  Healthy but tired.  Fighting a virus, I must be.   Spirits good.   Need a good art exhibit. The Leonardo was exquisite but ruined by too many tourists taking pictures and crowding.






No comments:

Post a Comment